Welp, first up is some “healthier” sloppy joe wanna-bes. Not half bad. And so easy…which is the greatest part. Minimal steps and a Crockpot (niiiiiice).
- 1 lb Italian turkey sausage (I used ground italian chicken cause it was all I could find at the store I was at! Still good)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic minced or a few teaspoons of pre-minced garlic (way easier I keep a big jar on hand for everything)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/3 cups crushed tomatoes (Tutorosso)
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- salt and fresh cracked pepper
Step One: Cook your turkey or chicken sausage up in a non-stick skillet over medium-hight heat. Cook and break up for about 5 minutes and then add in some chopped up onion and minced garlic (my fav ingredient for ALL things).
Step Two: Transfer meat mixture into your handy dandy crockpot. Chop up your red and green peppers.
Step Three: Add peppers and canned crushed tomatoes to meat mixture.
Step Four: Throw in some rosemary and pepper (pow!)
Step Five: Cover crockpot and cook on LOW for 4 hours. If you don’t want to necessarily serve right after 4 hours just switch crockpot to warm.
Easy peazy right???
1/2 cup of meat and sauce yields 1 serving. I couldn’t find low cal buns so I just found a normal whole wheat 150 cal bun, added on a few leaves of spinach and a slice of regular provolone cheese to top it.
You can find original recipe here! Semi decent for first post right? Next time I’ll post photo of the whole complete finished product. The best part.